Prepare an Escape Bag
Prepare an escape bag with all the essentials you will need to successfully escape an abusive home. Keep the bag / box / suitcase in a safe place away from the home (e.g. at work or with a trusted friend) where you can access it in an emergency. Don’t use your car or purse.
Whenever possible, documents should all be originals, unless taking them away would arouse your abuser’s suspicion.
A Suggested List of Items
- IDs for you and your children (driver's license, birth certificates, passports, social security card, work papers or immigration papers)
- Spare keys for your house, car, storage locker, bank safe deposit box, etc.
- Financial: check book, credit cards, debit cards, safe deposit box info
- Personal address and phone notebook. List of access codes and passwords
- Insurance info; health, life, auto, home
- Government account info; medicare, food stamps, medicaid, social security
- Records; school, medical, marriage
- Court orders: divorce, protection, child custody
- Proof of your partner's income (pay stub, etc.)
- Prepaid cell phone (your normal cell phone may be traceable) and / or prepaid calling card
- Documentation of assets and liabilities (including titles, leases, credit cards and bank accounts), particularly those you own jointly with your abuser
- Change of clothes
- Medications and prescriptions for you, children and pets. Bring extra supplies if possible.
- Personal hygiene items (toothbrushes, feminine hygiene, diapers, deodorant)
- Baby formula, toys and blankets
- Pictures, jewelry, keepsakes
- Pictures of family which include the abuser
- Abuser's personal information (date of birth, social security number, work permit information, place of employment, description of vehicle including license plate number) and a good photo of the abuser